Flashcards in Ch. 23: Sentence Syntax Deck (12)
What are the two most common ways of indicating indirect objects in Hebrew?
23.6 What are the three main syntactical constructions of the Perfect? And translation?
1. Regular Perfect: typically not first in clause
2. Consecutive Perfect: translate as an Imperfect
3. Imperative-Consecutive Perfect sequence: translate as imperative
23.7 What are the four main syntactical constructions of the Imperfect? And translation?
1. Regular Imperfect: typically not first in clause
2. Consecutive Imperfect: translate as an Perfect
3. Volitional (i.e. Cohortative and Jussive); normally first
4. Imperative-conjunction-Imperfect sequence: translate as purpose/result
23.11 What is the name when an Imperfect in the first person, singular and plural appear first in a clause and convey a volitional idea?
23.11.1 What is the name when an Imperfect in the third person, singular and plural appear first in a clause and convey a volitional idea?
23.11 What does the 1st person Cohortative get approximately 60% of the time?
1. Qamets Hey
(אֶקְטְלָה / נִקְטְלָה)
[reminder: the consecutive Imperative gets the Qamets Hey 104x and the Imperative 2ms 309x
23.11.2 What often happens to 3-ה volitional verbs?
1. They lose the Seghol Hey
23.11.2 What often happens to Bicon volitional verbs?
1. They lose the medial vowel letter
23.8.1 What can function as a subject/predicate in Hebrew
noun, adjective, independent personal pronoun, demonstrative pronoun, interrogative pronoun, prepositional phrase, participle
23.8.2 In a verbless clause what does it mean when the order is subject-predicate? What is definite and indefinite?
1. clause of identification
2. indicates "who" or "what" is the subject
3. subject and predicate are both definite
This is the covenant
23.8.2 In a verbless clause what does it mean when the order is predicate-subject? What is definite and indefinite?
1. clause of classification
2. indicates the general class to which the subject belongs
3. subject is definite; predicate is indefinite
His glory is great