Flashcards in Ch. 22 Qal Participle Deck (21)
What are the three major uses of the participle?
1. attributive (the consuming fire)
2. predicatively (the fire is consuming)
3. substantival (the one who consumes)
What are the verbal and adjectival properties of a participle?
What is the diagnostic feature of the Qal active participle?
The Holem/Holem Waw after the first consonant
קֹטֵל / קוֹטֵל
What Qal active weak verbs follow the strong verb pattern?
What Qal active weak verbs fail to follow the full pattern, but still contain the Holem vowel and inflectional endings?
What is the only class of weak verbs that fail to appear with the diagnostic Holem vowel of the Qal Participle?
What are the semantic clues a participle is being used adjectively? And how is it translated?
1. function as an adjective (follows noun and agrees in gender, number, and definiteness)
2. wither -ing or relative clause
What are the semantic clues a participle is being used as a predicate? What tense is the translation?
1. agrees in gender and number but is never definite and usually will follow the noun
2. the tense is taken from context
How should the substantival participle be translated?
as a relative clause
What nounal properties will a substantive participle possess?
1. can be subject
3. pronominal suffix
4. prepositional prefix
5. appear in construct chains
6. take definite articles
What is the diagnostic feature of the Qal passive participle?
Shureq after middle consonant
קָטוּל / קָטֻל
What is an adverb?
1. word that modifies, describes, limits, or qualifies
2. a verb, adjective, or another adverb
What are the four general categories of adverbs?
1. time (then, now)
2. place (here, there)
3. degree (very, extremely)
4. manner (swiftly, gently)
Certain adverbs of time [for example: (אָז / טֶ֫רֶם)] may be followed by an Imperfect, how should the imperfect be translated?
as a perfect
What are some characteristics of the Act. Ptc. strong verb?
1. ms: Tsere on stem vowel
2. fs: characteristics of Segholate with Taw ending
3. remainder: VS for vowel stem
What are some characteristics of the Act. Ptc. 3-Hey verb?
1. Hey's drop out
2. Holem initial vowel for all
3. ms: Seghol Hey ending (בֹּנֶה)
4. fs alt.: Hireq Yod + dagesh before fem. ending (בֹּנִיָּה)
5. remainder: typical endings
What are some characteristics of the Pass. Ptc. strong verb?
1. All: Shureq/Qibbuts for all stem vowels
2. ms: Qamets (קָתוּל)
3. Remainder: VS initial and normal gendered endings (קְתוּלִים)
How is the active ptc. formed for the Bicon?
1. Qal Perfect 3ms serves as the base (קָם)
2. Add typical gendered endings for remainder (קָמוֹת)
What are some characteristics of the Pass. Ptc. 3-Hey verb?
1. Heys drop out and Yod is added
2. Shureq for every stem vowel
3. ms: initial Qamets; all others VS (בָּנוּי)
4. Remainder: normal gendered endings (בְּנוּיִים)
What is the Act. Ptc. fs form for the 3-ח/ע and the 3-א?