Flashcards in Ch. 31: Piel Weak Verbs Deck (9)
What are the weak verb forms for the Piel?
5. II-Gutt (virtual doubling)
6. II-Gutt (compensatory lengthening)
What weak verbs in the Piel fail to maintain the diagnostic features of the strong?
31.2 What are the changes in the III-ח/ע in the Piel?
1. The Perfect, Imperfect, Imperative, and Inf. Construct has a Pathach stem vowel rather than Tsere ([יְשַׁלַּח], [שִׁלַּח], [שַׁלַּח])
2. The Infinitive Absolute, and Ptc (ms) has a furitive Pathach (the Ptc also has the alt fem Pathach Segholate)
31.3 What are the changes in the III-א in the Piel?
1. The Perfect has a Tsere stem vowel throughout (remember the Piel strong only has a Tsere in 3ms, the rest are either Pathach or Seghol; 3fs and 3cp are still SS) מִצֵּא
31.4 What are the changes in the III-ה in the Piel?
1. The stem vowel in 1 & 2 in the Perfect are Hireq Yod (גִּלִּ֫יתָ)
Remember that the 3ms is still Qamets (גִּלָּה), the 3fs is still Taw Qamets Hey (גִּלְּתָה), and 3cp is still only Shureq (גִּלּוּ)
31.5 What are the changes in the Gem in the Piel?
1. The Dagesh is missing in forms that have a stem vowel SS: Perfect (3fs, 3cp [הִלְלָה]), Imperfect (2fs, 3mp, 2mp [תְּהַלְלִי]), and Imperative (2fs, 2mp [הַלְלִי])
31.8 What are the changes with the II-Gutt with virtual doubling?
1. When II-Gutt is Hey or Chet or Ayin (invariable)
2. The Dagesh Forte is rejected (נִחַם)
3. The preceding vowel is not lengthened (יְנַחֵם)
4. The stem vowel may be Tsere (which is pretty standard) or it may become Pathach
(Remember, in forms that have an R2 SS, it will take instead a Hateph Pathach; Perfect (3fs, 3cp), Imperfect (2fs, 3mp, 2mp), Imperative (2fs, 2mp)
31.10 What are the changes with the II-Gutt with compensatory lengthening?
1. When II-Gutt is Rash, Aleph, (this is invariable)
2. The Dagesh Forte is rejected
3. The preceding vowel is lengthened to a Tsere (perfect [בֵּרֵךְ]), or Qamets (rest, [מְבָרֵךְ], [בָּרֵךְ], [יְבָרֵךְ]) (Remember that the Qamets will take a metheg if R2 has a Shewa (typical 9 places: Perfect (3fs, 3cp), Imperfect (2fs, 3mp, 2mp), Imperfect (2fs, 2mp), Ptc (mp, fp)