What resources does the Arctic contain?
Oil, natural gas and minerals
Why haven't resources in the Arctic been exploited?
- Hard to access - more the 80% offshore
- Challenging environment - cold can put workers at risk
- Could damage fragile environment
- Legally protected - ANWR
What is ANWR?
What is its purpose?
Created in 1960 to ban dri
Who is against drilling in ANWR?
- Sierra Club
- Gwich'in Nation - natives of the Arctic
Who is for drilling in ANWR?
- Labour Union - creation of jobs and reduce foreign oil dependency
- Inupiat People - create jobs for them
Where is Alaskan oil currently exploited?
Prudhoe Bay Oilfield
What are the advantages of drilling in ANWR?
- Creates more than 250,000 jobs
- 9-16billion barrels of oil could be extracted
- Decrease dependency on foreign oil + gas
- Revenue from oil sales to lead to drop in price = economic boom
What are the disadvantages of drilling in ANWR?