Name a storm hazard in a HIC:
Hurricane Katrina, South East USA, 2005
Describe the characteristics of Hurricane Katrina:
200-250mm rainfall to Louisiana
8.5m storm surge in Mississippi
What were the social impacts of Hurricane Katrina?
- 1836 people killed
- 300,000 houses destroyed
- 3 million left without electricity
- Main route out of New Orleans closed as bridge collapsed
- Water supply polluted - 5 people died.
- 18 schools destroyed in New Orleans, 74 badly damaged = disruption to education
What were the economic impacts of Hurricane Katrina?
- Job losses
- Oil industry disrupted as oil platforms destroyed
- Forest destroyed in Mississipi - $5 billion lost in logging industry
What were the environmental impacts of Hurricane Katrina?
- Coastal habitats destroyed
- Breton National Wildlife Refuge destroyed
- Oil spills due to flooding of oil refineries
- Salt marshes flooded
What helped the US respond rapidly to Hurricane Katrina?
Effective warning systems - could predict where the hurricane would hit.
How did the US prepare for Hurricane Katrina?
- Coast Guard positioned helicopters + boats around areas likley to be affected
- FEMA organised teams + supplies on national level
- Mandatory evacuation in some areas
How did the US respond after Hurricane Katrina?
- Emergency shelters for people who hadn't evacuated
- Search + rescue teams, medical supplies and supplies sent out
- $4 billion charity donations to provide aid
Name a storm hazard in a LIC:
Cyclone Nargis, Myanmur, 2008
Describe the characteristics of Cyclone Nargis:
215km/h wind speed
5m storm surge
What were the social impacts of Cyclone Nargis?
- 140,000 killed
- 450,000 houses killed
- 4000 schools destroyed + 75% of health facilities
- 70% had no access to clean water
- Lots suffered from diseases caused by dirty water
What were the economic impacts of Cyclone Nargis?
- 6000km2 agricultural land destroyed
- 40% food stores destroyed
- Millions lost livelihoods
What were the environmental impacts of Cyclone Nargis?
- 380km2 of mangrove forests destroyed
- Flooding caused erosion + salinisation of land
Why was Myanmar's response slow?