Flashcards in Crime and punishment questions. Deck (13)
Outline three Christian beliefs about justice.
- God is just so encourages Christians to act justly too.
- God is the ultimate judge.
- The Bible has a strong emphasis on justice.
Explain two Christian responses to why justice is important for victims.
Justice is important for victims because:
- They can be reassured that the criminal will be punished fairly.
- They may feel comfort.
Outline three possible causes of crime.
- Social environment.
Explain two Christian teachings about crime.
- One Christian teaching about crime is "let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her".
- Another Christian teaching about crime is "let everyone be subject to the governing authorities.
Explain two non-religious arguments as to why people suffer.
- Suffering is inevitable and meaningless.
- People should try not to cause harm to others.
Outline three Christian teachings about punishment.
- One Christian teaching about punishment is "do not judge, or you too will be judged".
- Another Christian teaching about punishment is "if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek too".
- A final Christian teaching about punishment is "from everyone who has been much, much will be demanded".
Explain two different Christian views on the different aims of punishment.
- "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth".
- "If someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the spirit, should restore that person gently".
Outline three features of restorative justice.
- Gives criminals the opportunity to meet victims of crime.
-They can learn about the impact their crime had on the victims.
- It can enable them to possibly get released from jail earlier.
'Murderers should never be forgiven'.
- They have killed someone.
- Don't deserve forgiveness.
- Non-religious people may not feel obliged.
- Sermon on the Mount.
- Repairs the harm that has been caused.
- "First go and reconciled to them".
Explain two reasons why Christians believe punishment should be reformative.
- The Bible teaches that Christians should speak up for the destitute.
- "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy".
Outline three reasons why Christians may support capital punishment.
- People who have committed atrocious crimes do not deserve to live.
- It acts as a strong deterrent.
- Society can rid itself of its most dangerous criminals.
Describe what justice is and saw why it is important.
Justice is doing what is right and fair based on the law. Justice is important because Christians believe that God is just and the Bible has a strong emphasis on justice. They would want to follow that.