Flashcards in SOGs Section 2 - BFES Communications Deck (17)
According to the Talk Around SOG, when radios are in talk-around mode, fire control is unable to what?
Fire Control is unable to receive transmissions from these radios, therefore, recording of transmissions and activation of emergency buttons will not be relayed to Fire Control.
According to the Talk Around SOG, when an out of range tone is heard upon pushing the PTT on a portable, what 3 steps should be attempted before switching to Talk-Around?
1) move at least 15 feet in any direction and retransmit
2) move as close as possible towards a window and retransmit
3) re-orient the radio 90 degrees in any direction and retransmit
According to the On Scene Times SOG, when the on-scene time is announced to the IC, the IC shall reply with the following 3 items?
1) Acknowledge the on scene time
2) Confirm Strategic Mode (offensive or defensive)
3) Update on Benchmarks
According to the On Scene Times SOG, when will the on scene time system cease.
Once loss stopped has been achieved.
According to the On Scene Times SOG, on scene times improve firefighter safety by:
By assisting the IC, augmenting the FAS, and is also an effective tool for air management to help the IC, sector officers and company officers determine how long crews have been working in the hot zone.
According to the Radio Operations Manual SOG, BFES uses which type of radios?
Suppression - APX7000
Admin, FP, Maintenance, Fire Life Safety - XTS5000
According to the Radio Operations Manual SOG, what are the distinct audible sounds when pressing the PTT. (3)
1) Talk Permit Tone: a short chirp, means contact has been established with one of the transmitter sites and user may talk
2) A BONK Tone:
3) in Talk Around Mode, the talk permit tone will not be produced.
According to the Radio Operations Manual SOG, if a Bonk Tone is heard when pressing the PTT what 3 conditions could exist?
1) system is busy: all 14 frequencies are in use
2) out of range: user should try to move and retransmit
3) system is down
According to the CAD Moveups SOG, a 10-12 minute window has been set for achieving moveups based on what 3 assumptions?
1) 4-6 mins for 1st response apparatus to arrive on scene
2) 1-2 mins allowing 1st apparatus to give initial report, establish command. The nature of the report would:
A) necessitate moveups
B) Return units to their stations
3) 4-5 mins allowing moveup apparatus to arrive at vacant station or to response zone, which is uncovered.
According to the CAD Moveup SOG, what are the 6 moveup criteria?
1) once command established and does not release other responding apparatus
2) once command established and announces “working fire”
3) when status of apparatus returning to station is “out of service”
4) when taken “out of service” for training or mechanical issue
5) when numerous incoming calls are received reporting a serious emerg
6) once crew arrives on scene and announces VSA, in defib protocol
According to the CAD Moveup SOG, what is the Manual Moveup Criteria?
Reverting back to manual moveups will be implemented once there is only one truck available at each station. Having once truck cover two stations at these times in acceptable.
What is the purpose of the Radio Message Acknowledgments SOG?
The purpose is to establish a procedure to reduce radio traffic while responding to emergency incidents.
According to Radio Message Acknow. SOG, when responding to an incident, the first responding Captain (closest) shall state what 4 details?
1) apparatus ID on the way
2) to location of incident (address)
3) house fire (nature of the incident)
4) all belted
According to the Missing Def, Comm Equip SOG, what shall be defined as high-priority equipment?
High Priority equipment is any equipment that is critical to emergency operations.
According to the Radio Operations Manual, what is Trunking?
“Trunking” refers to the automatic process of sharing frequencies between the user groups.
According to the Radio Operations Manual SOG, who licenses the Peel Trunking system?
The Peel system is licensed by Industry Canada for 21 frequencies of which 14 are currently operational.