Flashcards in GMAC 2017 Deck (105)
What UN class are Bio Hazards?
What are the four classes of Bio Hazards?
4. Fungi and spores
What are the four 'hazard groups' for bio hazards according to the Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP)?
Group 1: unlikely to cause human disease
Group 2: Can cause human disease; is unlikely to spread; usually treatable/prophylaxis
Group 3: Can cause severe human disease; may spread; usually treatable
Group 4: Causes severe human disease; likely to spread; usually no effective treatment.
Groups 2-4 must display the hazard signage
How can Bio Hazards enter the human body?
How can we achieve basic good hygiene?
1. Washing hands before eating, drinking and smoking
2. Cover all new and existing cuts/grazes
3. Avoid hand to mouth or eye contact
4. Take rest and meal breaks away from the area of risk
Will premises with a biological risk attract a greater PDA?
Only premises with a recorded bio hazard will have the bio hazard PDA attached.
What message should be sent when bio hazards are involved?
Priority message - "Biohazard Involved".
Control will mobilise a level 2 hazmat attendance
In some instances, on site specialists may not be willing to give ICs information regarding bioHazards. this these cases who should the IC contact?
Request the attendance of a ILO.
What physical signs will suggest a positive or negative pressurised system in a bio hazard facility?
1. Double door 'air lock' system
2. Heavy robust doors with gas tight seals
3. Pressure controls by doorways
4. Ducting entering/exiting the facility
5. Sterile changing rooms/requirements for specialised clothing
What is the minimum initial cordon for a bio hazard incident?
How long should water run off be contained at a biohazard incident?
Should be contained for the first hour while the EA and local water undertakers are contacted and the HMEPO can liaise with the EA
Who should the IC liaise with regarding smoke plumes from biohazard fires?
The Police and PHE.
The HMEPO/SA/RRT can assist with plume predictions via the met office
Can we remove animals from a biohazard testing facility?
Not without strict consultation between the HMEPO/SA and on site specialists.
How long can CBRN (gas tight) body bags work for?
Minimum of 48 hours
How can we contact specialist agencies to assist with biohazard incidents?
Via the duty ILO
How long should personnel wear the PN411 wristband?
Minimum 7 days
What is the EA responsible for?
1. Main drainage and pollution control relating to sewers
2. Pollution control over the river Thames, all its tributaries and all open water sites in greater London
3. Navigation control over the non-tidal Thames upstream of Toddington
4. Flood control within Greater London
What is LFBs policy re protecting the environment?
To take all reasonable steps within its powers to preserve and protect the environment
When should the EA be notified of incidents?
Anything above normal domestic quantities.
25ltr of oil, fuel, detergents, disinfectants, paints
More than 25ltrs of cooking oils
250 ltr of food products, sugar, cream, milk and vinegar
More than 250ltr of any beverage or organic liquid eg blood and slurry
More than 500ltrs of sand, cement or chalk
What are the three groups of pollutants?
1. Eco toxic materials e.g. Acids, solvents, oils, disinfectants
2. Organic materials e.g. Milk, beer, blood, firefighting foam.
3. In organic solids e.g.cement, silt, plaster, sand
What is DEFRA?
Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Each PA should carry an environmental grab pack. what does the grab pack contain?
1 x tub of dammit
1 x clay drain mat
20 x blue absorbent mats
2 x blue booms
1 x 10m poly boom
2 x disposable bags and ties
1 x roll of EA tape
2 x pairs of gloves
Who is responsible for the safe removal of hazardous/contaminated waste?
1. LA for public footpaths, roads and public land
2. Highways agency for motorways
3. EA for non tidal rivers
4. PLA main tidal rivers
5. TfL for GLA road network
What defence do ICs have when failing to prevent contamination to the environment?
1. Contamination was caused or allowed to continue in order to avoid danger to human health, providing:
A). The IC took all reasonably practicable steps to minimise pollution
B). The regulator was informed as soon as reasonably practicable
What must be done following every use of the grab pack or major spill kit?
The environmental pollution notification form must be completed and emailed to the EA and HMEP team mailboxes to assist the EA in recovering costs from the polluter.
Who is responsible for the overall control and coordination of terrorist incidents?
The Police IC
The LFB IC is responsible for fire fighting and rescues
What are the cordon sizes at IED incidents?
More than 100m. Up To a suitcase
More than 200m. Car/ light vehicle
More than 400m. HGV/ lorry
What are the component parts of an IED?
The main filling I.e. Explosive
The means of ignition, which must include a switch, detonator or igniters.
What are the three categories of calls to IEDs?
1. No warning - device actuated
2. Warning given - device actuated
3. Warning given - device not actuated, made safe.