Flashcards in Task 6 Deck (22)
What does a shaded part in a Venn diagram mean ?
- That the area is empty
What does placing an x in a Venn Diagramm stand for ?
- At least one thing exist in that area
What does no mark in an area stand for ?
- We do not have any knowledge regarding the area
What is meant by a conversion ?
- Switching subject and predicate and see if the argument is still equivelant ?
-> E and I is
-> A and O is not
What is meant by a obversion ?
- ALL S are P -> No S are non P
- No S are P -> All S are non P
- Some S are P -> Some S are not non P
- Some S are not P -> Some S are non P (doppel not gets crossed out)
- vaild for all ! (AEIO)
What is meant by a contraposition ?
- A and O is only valid
- E and I is not valid
- All S are -> All non P are non S
- No S are P -> No non P are non S
- Some S are P -> Some non P are non S
- Some S are not P--> Some non P are not non S
- ADD everywhere a non !
- Switch S and P
What is meant by a subject term ?
- First proposition in a sentence
What is meant by a predicate term ?
- Second proposition in a sentence
What does the letter A represent ?
All S are P
What does the letter E represent ?
No S are P
What does the letter I represent ?
Some S are P
What does the letter O represent ?
Some S are not P
What does affirmative mean ?
- "No and not" is not represented
What does negative mean ?
- "No and not" is represented
What does universal mean ?
- Something is being said about all members
- includes "All or NO"
What does particular mean ?
- Something is being said about a particular group
- "Some" is included
What is meant by a capula ?
- The link between terms
- "Are not / Are / is " is inluded
How is the distribution of the predicate term determined ?
1. If it is a Affirmative proposition then it is particular
2. if it is a negative proposition it is universal
What does contradictory mean ?
- Can not be true nor false at the same time !
- A vs O
- E vs I
What does Subcontrary mean ?
- Both can be true but not both false
- but they can be different
What does Subaltern mean ?
- They have to be the same (both true or both false)