Flashcards in Control of gene expression in eukaryotes part 4 Deck (15)
A mechanism by which very selective degradation of mRNA takes place
Define the role of Dicer
cuts dsRNA into 22 nt pieces
22bp of target mRNA
RNA-induced silencing complex
A complex of proteins that takes the siRNA and matches it to the target RNA, and then cleaves the RNA
Protein in RISC that cleaves the dsRNA
- A way of attacking mRNA from an intrinsic source
What are the two ways microRNA can work?
1. perfect match: degradation of mRNA immediately
2. Imperfect match: transportation to p bodies for degradation
RNA-induced transcriptional silencing complex.
How does RITS work?
RITS interacts with mRNA exiting RNA pol. The presence of RITS near the gene attracts CRCs, to create heterochromatin
There will probably be a question of comparing the different types of RNA.
What are four modes of negative control in eukaryotes
1. Protein inhibits stat or stop codon
2. Cold temperatures cause hairpin, hiding start codon
3. Small molecule creates hairpin that hides start codon
4. antisense RNA covers the start codon
Protein that binds iron when it is in excess
Define transferrin receptor
Protein that transports iron through the plasma membrane
What is eIF-2?
A factor needed for assembly of the 40S unit of the ribosome