Flashcards in CNS Blood Flow Deck (26)
CNS uses how much% of CO?
if arterial blood flow changes, how does it affect CNS?
autoregulation system keeps the brain adequately perfused
How is perfusion maintained in brain?
via dense network of vessels
circle of Willis is formed by what two systems?
vertebral artery comes off? goes through where?
off subclavian, through first 6 transverse foramina>foramen magnum
ACA supplies what?
medial part of frontal and parietal lobes
ACA supplies what functional territories?
motor and sensory for lower limb
MCA supplies what?
lateral surface of brain and part of all 5 lobes
MCA functional territories supply?
1. motor sensory for most body except UL
2. Language (Broca's Wernicke)
PCA supplies what?
medial and inferior temporal/occipital lobes
What supplies basal ganglia and internal capsule?
what supplies pons?
pontine branches of basilar artery
What supplies hypothalamus/thalamus?
posterio perforating branches off of PCA
perforating vessels off the ACOM supply?
2 named arteries that come off internal carotid before turning into MCA?
1. opthalmic artery
2. anterior choroidal:deep lateral structures, ventricles, hippocampus
Lenticulostriate arteries supply?
3 vessels that supply the cerebellum?
1. superior cerebellar artery
2. anterior inferior cerebellar artery (first branch of basilar)
3. posterior inferior cerebellar artery (branch of vertebral
Midbrain supplied by?
superior cerebellar artery
pons supplied by?
medulla supplied by?
1. PICA (lateral)
2. Vertebral artery (ventro-lateral)
3. anterior spinal (medial)
what is medial medullary syndrome?
damage to anterior spinal artery resulting in
1. hypoglossal n. damage
2. medial lemniscus damage
3. contralateral hemiparesis/hemideficit
Spinal arteries are reinforced by?
1. radicular arteries
2. segmental branches of aorta (intercostal/lumbar)
venous drainage of brain?
inferior sagittal>Galen&internal cerebral>straight sinus>superior sagittal>confluence>transverse sinus>sigmoid sinus>internal jugular
what can diffuse across BBB?
gases, lipid soluble substances