Flashcards in Chapter 9 Deck (55)
20. How the director and the graphic artists (or graphic designer) conceptually choose and structure the artistic elements of an ad is called the ad's:
21. A(n) _____ is an overall orderly arrangement of all the format elements of a print ad.
22. How does the layout of an advertisement help ensure its success?
It decodes the product's message.
23. The _____ is responsible for assembling the various elements of an ad and mechanically putting them together the way the art director has indicated.
the production artist
24. After conceptualization, the primary responsibility of the art director is to:
supervise the ad's progress to completion
25. _____ are small, very rough, rapidly produced drawings used to try out ideas during the conceptual phase of the design process
26. Thumbnail sketches:
are small, very rough, rapidly produced drawings used to try out ideas during the conceptual phase of the design process
27. In the _____, which is drawn to the size of the actual advertisement, the headlines and subheads are lettered in, the intended illustrations and photographs are sketched in, and the body copy is simulated by using pencil lines.
28. Which of the following statements about comprehensive layouts or comps is true?
At the comp stage, all visuals are in final form..
29. For which of the following projects would an ad agency be most likely to develop a dummy?
a point-of-purchase display for Pillsbury bake-and-eat cookies
30. Mechanicals are:
generally created on computers
31. According to the principles guiding how ads should be laid out,:
directional pattern should be evident so that readers know in what sequence to read
32. Illustrators and photographers are responsible for creating the _____ used in print advertising.
33. Why do advertisers need to use visuals in print ads?
to do all of the above
34. Which of the following is NOT a reason for the use of visuals in print ads?
to make the ad differ significantly from the rest of the ad campaign
35. A_____ is the term for the words in the leading position of an advertisement. These words are usually in larger type than the rest of the ad.
36. An effective headline should:
do all of the above
37. The ad for L'Oreal RevitaLift cream has a _____ headline that reads, "Dramatically lifts and re-tightens skin immediately."
38. The ad for Rockport boots has the following _____ headline: "A total of 500,000 tons of rain can fall from a single storm."
39. The headline for the Land O Lakes butter ad reads, “What if you could taste sunshine?” This is headline is not only a question headline, but it is also designed to be a _____ headline.
40. When Crate and Barrel began carrying a line of cookware created specifically for the retailer by well-known designer Michael Graves, its ads used the following _____ headline: "Can a great designer make a great cook?"
41. The Delta faucet ad for its line of Victorian bathroom fixtures used a _____ headline which advised consumers to "Get a vintage look without setting foot in an antique store."
42. The additional smaller headline that generally appears below main headline is called a(n):
43. Which of the following statements about subheads is true?
The purpose of the subhead is to act as a stepping stone between the body copy and the headline.
44. In an ad for the Cuisinart Griddler, for cooking on kitchen counter tops, _____ copy is used, which explains how to use the Griddler and why it is a superior innovation to all other similar products currently on the market.
45. The McGraw-Hill Companies introduced a massive TV and print corporate-image campaign in conjunction with the renaming of McGraw-Hill, Inc., and the introduction of a new logo. Centered on the slogan, "Keeping the world up to speed," the four-month campaign cost $2.7 million. The ads in this campaign used _____ copy that extolled the virtue of the publishing giant.
46. A company that wanted to use an emotional appeal to consumers would most likely use _____ copy.
47. An ad for the retailer Coldwater Creek does not promote the clothing the store chain sells. Rather the ad was designed to promote the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Race for the Cure. The _____ copy in this ad described how important it was for women to receive annual mammograms and support breast cancer research.
48. An ad for Pûr water filters has a photo which shows a woman enjoying a glass of water from her Pûr water filter while her dog is on the counter gnawing on a freshly cooked turkey. The _____ copy under the picture begins with the following statement: "The only thing you'll notice is how great it tastes."