Flashcards in Chapter 16 Deck (55)
20. _____ is any direct to a consumer or business recipient that is designed to generate a response in the form of an order, a request for further information, and/or a visit to a store or other place of business for the purchase of a specific good or service.
21. _____ is a measurable system of marketing that uses one of more advertising media to affect a measurable response and/or transaction at any location, with this activity stored in a database.
22. Direct marketing is virtually synonymous with:
23. Which of the following statements about direct marketing is true?
Direct marketing is a measurable system of marketing.
24. Sierra South sells whitewater ratting and kayaking trips, and related merchandise. The company uses a Web site to gather information from potential customers of its products. This information is entered into the company's database. Names and information in this database are used to determine who should receive a personalized sales e-mail from the company. Sierra South is using:
25. _____ advertising is always aimed at stimulating some action or response from its recipient.
26. Sierra South sells whitewater ratting and kayaking trips, and related merchandise. Sierra South uses the Internet as its _____ to connect its customers and prospects with the company--to provide them with information on upcoming trips, new gear, and sales.
27. _____ is the oldest marketing method, and it is growing incredibly fast today as a result of social and technological changes.
28. The growth of direct marketing has been fueled by:
the expanding use of credit cards
29. Rite Aid announced the launch of a _____ called Living More that provides benefits and savings to customers at least 60 years of age. Every time members use their card they are automatically entered into a quarterly sweepstakes plus getting a ten percent discount off all cash prescriptions as well as a ten percent discount off Rite Aid-brand products.
30. _____ is the process of gathering, consolidating, updating, and enhancing the information about customers and prospects that resides in an organization's database.
31. A database enables marketers to make _____ to manipulate, analyze, and rank all the information to make better marketing decisions.
32. Direct marketing expert Bob Stone recommends using the RFM formula to identify a company's best customers. The letters "RFM" are an acronym for:
recency, frequency, and monetary
33. Which of the following statements about the importance of direct marketing to integrated marketing communications (IMC) is true?
By providing a tangible response, direct marketing offers accountability.
34. Which of the following statements describes a reason why an advertiser might decide against using direct marketing?
Many customers like to be able to use more than their visual senses when they are buying.
35. All direct marketers must make two basic strategy decisions. The first is the extent to which they will use direct sales. The second is:
the extent to which they will use direct-response advertising
36. What are the two primary methods for implementing a direct-sales strategy?
person-to-person and group sales
37. _____ is face-to-face selling away from a fixed retail location.
38. _____ includes selling and prospecting by telephone, answering phone inquires, and providing sales-related services to callers.
39. Advertising that asks the reader, viewer, or listener to provide feedback straight to the sender is called:
40. In 2005, the airwaves of KFI-AM were saturated with commercials that asked listeners to dial advertisers' toll-free numbers or visit their Web sites. The approach accounted for nearly half the advertising on KFI, and it's a big reason why the station has climbed nearly to the top of the Los Angeles market in revenues and to No. 4 nationwide. In this example, a broadcast medium is prospering from the use of:
41. When Leona got her most recent copy of the Mysteries by Mail catalog, she was pleased to find that the catalog contained a short story by her favorite author, Margaret Maron. The catalog promised that short stories would be a regular feature of the catalog, and Leona is looking forward to receiving her next one. Which of the following describes the most likely reason why the catalog plans to include short stories by popular authors?
to help it stand out from the glut of catalogs
42. Which of the following is the best example of direct-response print advertising?
a magazine ad that asks you to call a toll-free number for more information
43. Which of the following is the best example of direct-response broadcast advertising?
a TV infomercial for exercise equipment
44. Which of the following is the best marketing communication tool for relationship building?
45. _____ is the interpersonal communications process by which a seller ascertains and then satisfies the needs of the buyer, to the mutual, long-term benefit of both parties.
46. Which of the following is an example of personal selling?
All of the above are examples of personal selling.
47. What is the greatest strength of personal selling?
its personal nature
48. Personal selling does a better job of gaining distribution for _____ better than any other communication tool.