Flashcards in Ethics & Values Deck (23)
T or F When an ethical dilemma arises, the social worker should first consult the Code of Ethics.
What is The primary mission of the SW profession?
to enhance human wellbeing and help meet the basic human needs of all people
Name the SW core ethics
2. social justice
3. dignity & worth of every person
4. importance of human relationships
Define Informed consent
make sure the client understands the forms s/he is signing
T or F if client sues you, you are still obligated to maintain confidentiality
False privilege belongs to client unless they sue then you can break confidentiality
What are the exceptions to privacy and confidentiality?
1. to prevent serious foreseeable, or imminent harm to a client or other identifiable person
2. child/sexual abuse
3. elder abuse
What are the boundaries to sexual contact?
1. No sexual activities with current clients or relatives whether consensual or forced
2. No sexual relationships with former clients
3. No clinical services to individuals with whom the clinician has had a prior sexual relationship
T or F a clinician can barter for services?
T or F Code of Ethics states the SW should ONLY solicit info essential for providing services
Tarasoff decision means
duty to warn
When can SW evoke Tarasoff decision
1) a genuine psychotherapist-patient relationship, 2) serious and imminent threat against another person, and 3) threat is against an identifiable victim(s).
Social worker may be justified in breaking confidentiality and warning an intended victim of the client’s HIV status if the therapist can prove 5 facts:
1. Client is infected with HIV
2. The parties engage in unprotected sexual intercourse or share drug injection equipment
3. The behavior is actually unsafe
4. The client intends to continue the behavior even after being counseled by the therapist about the potential harm
5. HIV transmission will likely occur
T or F SW is prohibited from receiving payment for referals
T or F a SW can split fees
Who should the SW consult with if they have knowledge of colleague ethical or practice weakness?
Address colleague and assist the colleague in taking remedial action
T or F clients should be informed if services are being offered by student
What should a SW do if served a subpoena?
Respond with "privilege" and wait for judges decision
Describe vicarious liability
employers and supervisors are responsible and liable for the actions of their respective employees
established federal minimum standards for health information that is electronically transmitted. Stronger state laws supersede HIPPA. Clients have the right to see their records. Voluntary written consent required for any release.
A ______ is a document issued by the fed govt that funds research involving human participants
cert of confidentiality
What is the most common unethical behavior
The best way to protect electronic records is through