Flashcards in Suicide Deck (17)
T or F suicide is the 8th leading cause of death for all Americans
T or F suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for youth aged 15-24
How much more likely are LGBTQ youth to commit suicide?
3x more likely
Which sex is more likely to commit suicide?
which sex is more likely to attempt suicide?
Name some high risk factors of suicide
communication of intent, plan, hx of previous attempts, recent improvement in depressive symptoms.
T or F Hx of previous attempt is best predictor of future attempts
T or False Severe hopelessness is not a indicator for suicide
Name some behavioral signs of suicide
giving away belongings, taking care of legal issues, verbalizes threats or feelings of despair
T or F if you determine the patient is at risk for committing suicide and requires hospitalization, you would still have to obtain approval from the managed care company before hospitalizing the patient
Medical necessity criteria for an involuntary commitment to the hospital include
danger to self, danger to others, and inability to care for self.
- Frequency, intensity, duration of suicidal thoughts
- Access to or availability of method(s)
- Ability or inability to control suicidal thoughts
- Ability not to act on thoughts
- What makes the patient feel worse or better?
- What will be consequence of acting on thoughts?
- Any deterrents to acting on thoughts?
- Has pt. rehearsed suicide and imagined his/her funeral?
- Has pt. been using drugs/alcohol to cope?
are parts of ____?
- increase in substance use
- preoccupation w/ death
- impulsive/reckless behavior
- ineffective coping
- prior attempt
- loss of support system
Signs and symptoms of suicide
What should a social worker do if a client presents with warning signs of suicide?
everything reasonably possible to prevent suicide
What should a sowk do if they suspect a client is suicidal?
ask the client directly if they are suicidal then complete assessment
What is a no suicide contract?
a written agreement btw the social worker and client in which the client agrees to take certain action if suicide is contemplated