Flashcards in Adaptations Deck (21)
What is an adaptation?
A special feature that suits a certain environment
Name a hot dry environment
Name a cold environment
What do animals need to be able to do to survive in the desert?
Lost heat quickly
How do desert animals lose heat quickly?
They have a large surface area to body ratio
How do desert animals save water
Their kidneys do not allow much water to exit in urine
Describe the adaptions of a camel that allow it to survive in the desert
- Large surface area to volume ratio to lose heat fast
- Hump filled with fat for energy
- Wide feet for walking on sand
- Eye lashes to stop sand entering eyes
- Thick fur underneath to keep warm during cold nights
Describe the conditions in a desert environment
Why do animals need camouflage?
To sneak up on prey
To hide from predators
What does an animal need to do to survive in the arctic?
Keep itself insulated (warm)
How can animals keep themselves insulated?
Thick layer of body fat
How are polar bears adapted to live in the arctic?
- Thick fur coats for insulation
- Thick layer of fat for insulation
- Small surface area to volume ratio to lose heat slowly
- White fur for camouflage from prey
How are cacti adapted to survive in the desert?
- Store water in a thick stem
- Spines instead of leaves reduces water loss
- Long roots to absorb water quickly
What is a predator?
An organisms that eats other organisms to survive
What is a prey?
An animal that is eaten by a predator
How are plants adapted to scare away predators?
- Poison stings
How are animals adapted to scare away predators?
- Horns e.g. deer
- Poisons e.g. bee stings
- Warning colours e.g. poison dart frogs
A microorganism that can live in extreme conditions is called an...
Give 3 examples of extreme environments.
Hot volcanic vents
Very salty lakes
High pressure on sea beds
Name some desert animals
Australian hopping mouse