When do objects float in water?
When the object is less dense than the water displaced by it.
State the eqaution for density. Gvie appropriate units.
Describe a method to determine the density of a regular solid
- Take measurements of relevant dimensions using a ruler
- Calculate the volume using an appropriate equation
- Measure mass using a balance and calculate density using density = mass/volume
Descirbe a method to determine the density of an irregular solid
- Measure volume by submersion: read the volue of liquid, submerge the solid, then read the change in volume (which would equal volume of object)
- Measure mass using a balance
- Use density = mass/volume to calculate density
Descrieb a method to determine the density of a liquid