What are the 3 main components of motion?
3. Acceleration (change in speed)
Give the equation for average speed
average speed (m/s) = distance (m) ÷ time (s)
v = d ÷ t
What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- Speed is scalar, so doesn’t include direction
- Velocity is a vector, so has a direction
Give an equation for acceleration
What is the value of acceleration due to gravity at the Earth’s surface?
Explain how terminal velocity is reached
- Initially in free fall, the only force is weight, causing acceleration downwards
- As speed increases, air resistance (which acts upwards) increases
- This decreases the resultant force
- Eventually air resistance = weight, so there is no resultant force, resulting in terminal velocity
What is deceleration?
Negative acceleration (slowing down, decreasing speed).