Flashcards in Paper 3- developments in christian thought- challenges Deck (6)
What was Dawkins challenges?
He is an atheist, programmatic- (more gradual- religion gone)- says that religion is not a neutral matter, especially when it comes to running a country.
- religion viewed with extreme caution.
- religion in public sphere, is offensive and every effort should be made to remove its influence.
What does Dawkins think it is unfair to do?
unfair of parents to tell their children wat to think- takes away children's freedom and make decisions for themselves.
What does Dawkins worry religion may do?
can cause people to relinquish responsibility for their actions& decision making to an outside ( imaginary) force- Humans wont have the dignity of thinking things through properly- using reason, leading to growing as a person.
What example does Dawkins give referring to religion cause people to relinquish responsibility for their actions?
- someone believing, without thinking, that we go to heaven when we die, might not seize there opportunities here on earth as enthusiastically- Which he might of discovered through reason that we only have one life to make the most of.
What does Dawkins say about the Uk and the world?
- are too pluralistic, today, for it to be fair to have any one religion over- represented in the running of a country.
- so many religions existing alongside agnosticism, atheism and many different philosophical and political worldviews that it seems foolish to have a proportion of government in existence simply because they are high- ranking Christians.