Flashcards in Making up a drug Deck (5)
What equipment would be required for making a drug with a dilution?
Gloves and Apron
Sharps bin and clean receptacle
Drug and dilutent
Syringe, 1 needle and syringe cap
Before you begin, what should you check?
Right drug (including expiry date)
Right to refuse
Right documentation of allergies and prescription
Equipment has been collected, how would you prepare it?
1) Don gloves and apron (if not already wearing)
2) Open equipment using no touch technique
3) Remove protective cap from vial and CLEAN the top
4) Fix needle to the end of syringe (still sheathed)
Equipment is ready to go, how you mix up the drug?
1) Unsheathe needle
2) Holding dilutent upside down with needle in dilutent, fill syringe by pulling plunger
3) Inject drugs vial and depress plunger fully
4) Move needle slightly so it is out of liquid and release plunger, allowing syringe to fill with air automatically
5) Carefully mix drug and dilutent (with needle and syringe still in)