Flashcards in Chapter 3- Communicating Identities Deck (26)
Importance of ID
Every interaction affects and shapes identity.
Plays an important role in international communication.
Most US life organized around specific ID.
Who the person is.
Two types of Identity:
Primary Id- Race, gender, and nationality.
Secondary Id- College major, occupation, and marital status.
1. Identities created through interaction w. others.
4. Need to be understood in relation to historical, social, and cultural.
Two kinds of perspectives communicated to us-
1. Particular others- People whose influence the community.
2. Generalized others- Belief endorsed by the community. Basic characteristic.
Individual meaning for the objects, coming out from symbolic interaction w/ others.
Your self images from how others view them.
Looking glass self-
Self image an individual forms by imagining what others think about you.
Judge your characteristic based on how society view them.
Other's expectations about us. We behave in ways that are consistent to those expectation.
Self-fulfilling prophecy have 2 types:
Self-imposed prophecy: Your expectations influenced your behavior.
Other-imposed prophecy- One person's expectation governs another's actions.
Stereotypical expectations can impact their performances.
Set of perceptions you hold of yourself.
Evaluation of self worth.
Performance of individual Identity-
We shows the world who we think we are.
Presenting an image consistent w/ one's personal identity.
Expecting one to perform in certain way.
- ID w/ a particular group.
- More than 1 racial ID.
A person's citizenship.
- Particular group that shares: national, tribal, language or religious affiliation.
- A community shares a common cultural background.
Social Class ID-
- ID oneself btwn masculinity and femininity.
- Gay, lesbian or straight.
- How old one can be.
- Ranking: income, occupation, and education.
- Physical or mental impairment.
- Spiritual belief.
1. Perceived self-
2. Presenting self-
1. Honest reflection of who you want to be.
2. The way we want to appear to others.
Face- socially ID.
Facework- The way we act to maintain present image.
1. Save face-
2. Give face-
Save face- Individualistic culture.
Give face- Collectivist culture.
Why do we manage impression?
Social rules govern our behavior.
Accomplish personal an relational goals.