Flashcards in Wk 12. AntiDiuretics Deck (36)
31. What are the mechanisms of action for sugar laxatives? Where do they work?
The disaccharide is metabolized into acid by gut bacteria. The acids cause an osmotic action. Colon.
32. Name a non-GI use for lactulose?
High ammonium blood levels.
33. What are the mechanisms of action for glycerin suppositories? Where do they work?
Softens and lubricates stool. Stimulates rectal contraction. Rectum.
34. What is the most important indication of constipation?
Hard, pellet-like feces.
35. What is a possible effect of laxatives during pregnancy?
Initiation of labor.