Flashcards in Week 5-7, 13-14 Deck (55)
Whats the capital city of Lebanon
Does Beirut offer good maternity care
Are pregnant Lebanese Muslim women required to fast during Ramadan
No, they are exempt and typically sustain a healthy nutritional diet
Labour and Birth in Lebanon
Why would a women's support person be reciting verses of the Qur'an
its done during labour to help ease the woman's discomfort
Antenatal care in Lebanon
Antenatal care is usually provided by...
an obstetrician in a surgery. Women typically see their care provider once or twice during pregnancy unless there's complications
Midwifery care antenatally is rare
What are the practices done with the birth of the baby in Lebanese culture
Shortly following the birth, the father is required to:
- Addin (call to prayer) softly in the baby’s ear.
- Preferably before the first feed, a small piece of softened date be rubbed on the newborns palate
What are the practices done postnatally in Lebanese culture
- remain indoors 40days
- woman cared for mother, sister, mother in law
- abstain from sex for 40days
- naming infant
- shaving hair 7days post birth
- male circumcision
Define: female genital mutilation
FGM comprises all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the female external genitalia and/or injury to the female genital organs for cultural or any othernon-therapeutic reasons
When was the term FGM adopted
1991- WHO recommended United Nations adopt this term
What are the Global estimates of FGM
- 100-140 million women and girls worldwide undergone the procedure
- 6,000 girls every day
- One girl every 5 mins
What country has the highest number of females that have undergone FGM
What are some of the reasons behind FGM
Aesthetics and hygiene
What laws protect against FGM in Australia
Crimes (Female Genital Mutilation) Act1995 No 58 Section 45.
What is birthing on country (Aboriginal)
Is the sacred practice of Aboriginal women giving birth directly on the land in their community, not in hospitals, supported by their kin.
Why is birthing on country important?
it's a sacred and ho;y experience for Aboriginal women
What is Kinship
Kinship defines their social and familial network, as well as defines their roles and responsibilities within this community.
How do you think Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women with high risk pregnancies could be better supported?
- By providing more access to special clinics for high-risk women within the communities,
- not shipping them out to another hospital away from their community and family members.
- Employ aboriginal women/elders as midwives/ midwifery aids to facilitate culturally safe births
What are common Lebanese Muslim customs and traditions related to birth and the post-partum period?
- Children are born pure
- Call to prayer is performed immediately after birth by whispering in baby’s right ear by the father
- Shaving the infants head and rubbing saffron into baby’s forehead. Hair is weighed and its value in $ is donated. Was also done for cleanliness
- Circumcision is an act of cleanliness and is also symbolic of Abraham’s lasting covenant (to god). For modern day is cleanliness
- Rubbing a date inside the babies mouth
- Naming children- typically linked to god’s servant’s attributes
- Community would be invited to a ceremony, recite the quran
the emotional process that occurs for the loss of a loved one
the loss of something or someone special
the expression of grief in one's culture
What are Kunler-Ross's 5 stages of Grief
What are the cultural implications for grief in nursing and midwifery
- demonstrating cultural sensitivity
- seeking support service for the grieving family to assist with funeral arrangements, customs and traditions
- Accommodating family requests when there has been a death
Maintaining an element of "what" was important to some women, particularly during labour and when female staff were not available
A large number of women reported cultural preferences and needs related to burial of their...
Traditional Aboriginal midwives do what to guide the baby during labour.
Sing the baby through the birth canal
True or False
There is no correct way or time to grieve
True or False
There is no distinct difference between grief, bereavement and mourning
True or False
The grief process does not begin until after the death of a loved one