Flashcards in Wealth And Income Inequality Deck (8)
What is wealth and income?
Wealth is a stock concept, the value of assets or bonds
Income is the amount of money a person receives per time period
Why is wealth inequality normally greater than income inequality? (5)
1. Those on low incomes can't save and increase wealth
2. Those who are wealthy and own a house can rent
3. Wealth can be inherited, income cannot
4. Wealth inequality between homeowners and not
5. Taxes on income tend to be higher than wealth
Is inequality necessary? (2)
1. Without an incentive of higher wage, enterprise would be limited.
2. Policies to reduce inequality may create disincentives to work
Problems of inequality (4)
2. Social friction-
3. Diminishing marginal utility of money
4. Inequality of opportunities
How is exploitation a negative of inequality?
Monopolies can earn profits at the expense of others
How does diminishing utility of money come about from inequality?
Tax from high income earners won't make a difference compared to low income earners
How can economic growth increase inequality? (4)
1. Demand for skilled labour opposed to unskilled
2. Regional inequality as some places have more inequality than others
3. Monopsony power enables capitalists to own profits and not share
4. Lead to increased living costs