Flashcards in Triplette/Reading II Deck (8)
Proto-nationa bonds (Hobsbawm)
Historic characteristics that link regional, ethnic, religious communities. (pre-modern states)
What is the goal or driver of democracy? (Hobsbawm)
Difference between civic and ethnic nationalism
They are often mixed, hard to find a nationalism with only one of them
What is the impact of globalization on nationalism?
- State/economy-making functions
- Globalization and international labor removes these functions
- No territorial homogeneity in nation-states
- Nationalism irrelevant to contemporary globalization process
- In EU and US pushes nationalist movements
Benedict Anderson's "imagined community"
- Imagined bc members know of existence of other members but haven't really met them
- Mass communication (language)
When did nationalism appear?
What are the countries that were constructed on the basis of nationalism?
Germany, Italy, Greece, Belgium and Spain