Flashcards in Top 50 Topics Deck (39)
How old must a minor be in order to be able to consent for their own treatment?
12 or older
Signs of Intoxication: impaired motor coordination; euphoria; anxiety; sensation of slowed time; impaired judgment; social withdrawal; conjunctival injection (redness of the eyes); increased appetite; dry mouth; tachycardia.
If a court subpoenas your records, do you assert privilege on your CT's behalf or do you provide the records?
Provide the records
Medications for Depressive Disorders
Exception to couples therapy, no secrets policy.
When they feel that their safety is in danger.
What is privilege?
Privilege is the client's legal right not to have confidential information revealed during a legal proceeding.
What are the standard of care requirements of informed consent?
Limits of confidentiality
Risks and benefits of treatment
Right of Refusal
Communication and emergency practices
Background of therapist
Defining who client is
Signs of Intoxication: inappropriate sexual or aggressive behaviors; impaired judgment; slurred speech; emotional lability; incoordination; unsteady gait; involuntary, rhythmic movement of the eyes; impaired attention or memory; stupor; coma.
Advertising: Legally, what must a mental health professional provide on any advertisement or professional representation?
License name and number when using a DBA
Medications for Anxiety Disorders
Signs of Intoxication: perceptual changes; anxiety; depression; ideas of reference; paranoid ideation; pupillary dilation; tachycardia; sweating; palpitations; blurred vision; tremors; incoordination.
Signs of Withdrawal: dysphoric mood; fatigue; vivid and unpleasant dreams; insomnia or hypersomnia; increased appetite; psychomotor agitation or retardation.
Timeline for child abuse reporting?
Call CPS immediately, written report within 36 hours
Medications for ADHD
What are the important ages for sex between minors?
13, 16 and 21.
13 or under they could have sexual activity with someone who is also 13 or under.
If someone is 13 or under and they have sexual activity with someone who is older, than you report.
If someone is older than 21, than the other person must be older than 16 in order for it to be okay. If not, then you must file a child abuse report.
Lewd and lascivious behavior between minors ages 14 or 15 with a partner who is 10 or more years older is a mandated report.
What are 10 Exceptions to Privilege
1. When the client has introduced his or her emotional condition in a legal proceeding.
2. When the client has treated confidential information as though it were not confidential.
3. When there is a breach of duty: The client sues the therapist for malpractice OR the therapist sues the client for non-payment (content of therapy remains confidential)
4. When the therapist has been appointed by the court to examine the client.
5. When the client has sought psychotherapy to commit a crime and/or escape punishment for a crime.
6. When the client is under 16 years of age and has been the victim of a crime (e.g. extortion, statutory rape)
7. In a proceeding requested by a defendant to determine sanity.
8. When the psychotherapist has reasonable cause to believe that the patient is in such mental or emotional condition as to be dangerous to himself or to the person or property of another and that disclosure of the communication is necessary to prevent the threatened danger.
9. In a proceeding brought by or on behalf of a client to establish competence.
10. When a coroner requests information in the course of an investigation of deaths involving public health concerns, abuse, suicides, poisonings, accidents, SIDS, suspicious deaths, unknown deaths, criminal deaths, or when authorized by the decedent's representative.
When parents were never married, who can consent for a minor's treatment?
When is couples therapy contraindicated?
Timeline for dependent abuse reporting?
Call APS immediately, written report within 2 business days
When parents are divorced, who can consent for a minor's treatment?
custody agreement will determine who can consent
What are the legal requirements of informed consent?
Fees of service
If fictitious business name is being use, name and license of owner(s)
License should be posted in office
Notice of Privacy Practices if therapist is a HIPAA covered entity
If a lawyer subpoenas your records, do you assert privilege on your CT's behalf or do you provide the records?
Assert privilege on your CT's behalf.
Who do you contact for elder/dependent abuse if the abuse takes place in assisted living or nursing facility?
What type of abuse is optional, or a gray area, of mandated reporting?
What must a California therapist do to provide teletherapy to client who is a resident of California that is temporarily traveling to another state?
The therapist must check with that state's licensing board to see if teletherapy is permitted in that state.
Stages of change (motivational interviewing)
What is the timeline of records?
5 days to inspect; 10 days for summary; 15 days for a copy of the entire record
Signs of Intoxication: euphoria; anxiety; hyperactivity; grandiosity; confusion; anger; paranoia; auditory hallucinations; tachycardia; elevated or lowered blood pressure; dilated pupils; perspiration or chills; nausea or vomiting; weight loss; psychomotor agitation; muscular weakness; confusion; seizures.
What is the cycle of violence for domestic violence?
Tension building period (e.g. jealousy)
honeymoon phase (perpetrator is apologetic)