11. A commercial building assigned to SDC D has a fundamental period of 0.4
seconds, SDs = l.Og, Sm = 0.55g, R = 6, and W = 1,000,000 pounds.
What is the base shear?
B. 121 kips
C. 167 kips
D. 209 kips
12. A building with steel moment-resisting frames assigned to SDC D is 120 feet high and has a fundamental period of vibration of 1.29 seconds. If the building height were 240 feet and all other factors remained the same, the period would
B. decrease by half.
C. remain the same.
D. increase about 75 percent.
13. The bracing of nonstructural elements must be designed to resist seismic forces that are
A. thesameasthoseusedforthedesign ofthebuilding.
B. usually smaller than those used for the design of the building.
C. usually greater than those used for the design of the building.
D. zero, since nonstructural elements are not required to be braced.
4. In designing a cantilever retaining
wall, which of the following factors are considered?
A. I, II, and III
B. II and IV
C. I, III, and IV
D. I, II, III, and IV
5. Overturning effects are most critical for which of the following?
Check all that apply.
A. Buildingswithahighheight-to-width ratio
B. Buildings with a low height-to-width ratio
C. Tall, slender buildings
D. Short, squat buildings
6. All of the following statements about shearwalls are correct,
A. a shearwallresistslateralforcesfrom windorearthquakebydeveloping shearinitsownplane.
B. a shear wall must be made of reinforced concrete or structural steel.
C. shear walls may be used with moment-resisting frames to form a dual system.
D. a shear wall is analogous to a vertical cantilever beam.
15. Which of the following statements about prestressed concrete construction is
A. Precast,prestressedmembersusually requireendanchorages.
B. Pretensioned members require no end anchorages.
C. Prestressing a beam results in a smaller section.
D. Posttensioned members usually require end anchorages.
17. The allowable shear in a plywood diaphragm depends on all of the following, EXCEPT
B. direction of framing.
C. nail size and spacing.
D. width of framing members.
18. Compared to a steel frame building, a reinforced concrete building has
A. I and II
B. I and III
C. II and III
D. I, II, and III
20. A special moment-resisting frame has an R value of 8. A concrete shear wall has an R value of 5. If all other factors are the same, the special moment-resisting frame should be designed to resist a seismic force that.
A. is 50 percent greater than that for the shear wall.
B. is 37.5 percent smaller than that for the shear wall.
C. is the same as that for the shear wall.
D. may be greater or smaller than that for the shear wall, depending on the SDC.
Which of the following types of stress are important in building design? Check all that apply.
22. The load capacity of a structural steel column depends on the slenderness ratio Kl/r. In this ratio, K depends on
A. the length of the column.
B. the grade of steel.
C. the moment of inertia and area of the column.
D. the end conditions of the column.