Flashcards in Renaissance and Reformation Deck (9)
Act of Supremacy
1. 1534 English act of Parliament
2. Declared Henry VIII as the “Head of the Church of England.”
3. Required an oath of loyalty from English subjects that recognized his marriage to Anne Boleyn.
4. Remains the legal authority of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom.
1. First started by Roman Catholic church
2. Person could attend church but not "communion". Worst punishment.
3. Martin Luther: excommunicated due to his attempts to reform church
4. Could return if changed attitude that caused the excommunication
1. Bohemian Priest
2. Promoted Wycliffe's idea that one should be able to read Bible in their own language
3. Thought church too concerned with $
4. Excommunicated and burned at the stake
1. 1300' English reformer: Wrote first English language Bible
2.Opposed teachings of Church
3. Believed church should be poor & give up all it's jewels
4. Lost his teaching job
1. Rulers must do everything to maintain power (torture)
2. Authored "The Prince"
3. Famous for "end justifies the means"
1. Started by Martin Luther
2. English Reformation top down
3. Continent's Reformation bottom up
Church's reaction to Martin luther
Condemned his writings
Council of Trent
called by Pope to hear Protestant complaints; abolished indulgences; did not work