Flashcards in religions Of The World Deck (30)
A_Is a belief in the supernatural power or powers that are regarded as the creators and maintainers of the universe
what are the three types of religions?
monotheistic, polytheistic, animistic
what is monotheism?
belief in one God
what is polytheism?
belief in many gods
what is animism?
traditional or belief and animals
judaism, Christianity and Islam or three religions that began in Southwest_
– Monotheism: one God who is all-powerful and all-knowing
– This God made a special covenant or agreement with Abraham, who is the father of the Jewish people
– God revealed his laws to his people through Moses and the 10 Commandments
– Was heavily influenced by Judaism
– Jesus Christ died for the sins of humankind
– Salvation comes from faith in God
christians believe the_of the Bible are holy books. The first four books of the New Testament were written by followers of Jesus and base on his life and teachings
Old and New Testament's
Give an example of a branch of Christianity.
Roman Catholic, protestant, Eastern Orthodox
– Monotheistic religion that developed in Saudi Arabia in the early 600s
– It is related to Judaism and Christianity
– It was founded by the Prophet Mohammed who live from 570 to 632 in Saudi Arabia
what are the five pillars or central teachings of Islam?
A statement of faith, pray five times a day, charity, pilgrimage to Mecca, fasting
The teachings of Mohammed were collected in a book called the_. Muslims worship and buildings called_
– One of the oldest religions in the world
– Polytheistic that originated in South Asia around 2500 B.C.E.
_Is the spirit or soul of a person, which most Hindus believe, is eternal
_Refers to a supreme spirit but it can also mean infinite and unchanging reality
_Believe that the goal of life is to realize you're atman is the same as brahman and thereby reach mokash or liberation
Hindus believe in_and_. A person dies then lives again until they finally reach Moksha
reincarnation and karma
_Have several holy books called vedas, upanishads, and the epics of mahabharata and ramdyana
the_is a system of social organization in India. When a person is born they are born into one of the castes or as a Dalit. The system has lead to discrimination and has been outlawed in India. Hindus still debate whether the _ is part of Hinduism or an outdated social custom
are all part of what?
_Is related to Hinduism and shares many of the same beliefs. The relationship between_and Hinduism is similar to the relationship between Christianity and Judaism
buddhism was founded by a man named_who was born around 500 to 400 BC in Nepal
_Is a religion or philosophy that began in China around 500 to 400 BC
tradition says that Taoism is based on the teachings of_
the_is a collection of laozis teachings
tai te ching
_Is a philosophy that began in China around 500 to 400 BC
confucianism is based on the teachings of_
_Is concerned mainly with social organization. It emphasized respect for elders and education