Flashcards in Physiology of the Puerperium Deck (33)
How may the uterus change if there is an infection?
- Sub-involution = uterus feels wide and boggy, meaning its poorly contracted
- Fundus may deviate to one size and not get smaller
- Woman may experiences tenderness on palpation
- Blood loss fresher and heavier and may be foul smelling
- May pass clots
What are the signs of wound infection?
- Inflammation and tenderness around the wound
- Slow healing or gaping at the skin edges
- Pain felt deeper in the wound area
- Clear/ purulent exudate (pus)