How does exercise affect GLUT4 transporters?
Exercise activates GLUT4 so that it is translocated to the plasma membrane of skeletal muscle cells, allowing glucose to enter
What are the secondary causes of diabetes mellitus?
- Cushing's syndrome
_________ is the first line of treatment for Type II DM.
NOTE: It is controversial and is thought to reduce gluconeogenesis in the liver
Aside from metformin, which drugs are most oftern prescribed to treat DM Type II?
Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar syndrome (HHS) symptoms
- Altered level of consciousness
- Neurologic signs including: blurred vision, headaches, focal seizures, myoclonic jerking, reversible paralysis
- Motor abnormalities including flaccidity, depressed reflexes, tremors or fasiciculations
- Hyperviscosity and increased risk of blood clot formation
- Weight loss
- Nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain
- Low blood pressure with standing
Diagnostic criteria for HHS