Flashcards in Phase I, Block XVIII - Hangar Familiarization Deck (18)
What is the hangar designed for?
Provide environmentally protected area to perform maintenance on aircraft or store them away from elements.
In regards to shore station hangars, what is the Type I hangar designed and configured for?
- Designed for carrier aircrafts, adaptable to meet requirements for rotary wing and smaller aircraft.
- Configured for typical strike fighter squadron, helicopter anti-submarine warfare squadron, or 2 carrier airborne early warning squadrons.
In regards to shore station hangars, what are the dimensions for a Type I hangar?
235ft wide by 85ft deep
In regards to shore station hangars, what is the Type II hangar designed for?
- Primarily for USMC aviation
- Designed to accommodate CH-53 heliocopters, V-22 Ospreys, and C-130 Hercules.
In regards to shore station hangars, what are the dimensions for a Type II hangar?
325ft wide by 119ft deep
In regards to shore station hangars, what is a Type III hangar designed for?
Designed for land based patrol and large transport aircraft.
In regards to shore station hangars, what are the dimensions for a Type III hangar?
165ft wide by 165ft deep
In regards to shore station hangars, what are some items to be aware of?
- Red fire line
- Portable CO2 fire extinguishers
- Aircraft electrical system cords
- Manual/automatic operated hangar door
- Aircraft grounds
In regards to shore station hangars, the likelihood of a fire is mainly due to what?
- Mixture of flammable HAZMAT
- Aircraft materials
- Heat producing devices installed in aircraft
In regards to shore station hangars, what are the protection requirements for protecting high value aircraft?
- Low level AFFF system with low profile nozzles
- Closed head, water only overhead sprinkler system
- Optical detection system
- Drainage systems
- Draft curtains
In regards to shore station hangars, why is it important to train on fire suppression system?
Training is necessary because impact of false activation causes loss of man-hours, materials, readiness, and financial burden.
In regards to shore station hangars, the estimated cost for false activation is $80,000 due to what?
- Damage to aircraft
- Cost to recharge system
- Cost of run-off retention
- Cost of AFFF removal
- Associated manpower expenses
Aircraft hangars are installed on what types of ships?
Aviation capable ships, ranging from LHDs to CVNs.
What are the dimensions for hangar bays on aircraft carriers?
100ft wide by 685ft long with 25ft of overhead clearance, 1.4 acres of maintenance and storage space
Hangar bays on aircraft carriers are designed to hold what?
More than 60 aircrafts plus spare jet engine, fuel tanks, and other heavy equipment
Hangar bays on aircraft carriers have divisional doors that can be closed in what amount of time?
Approximately 18 seconds
What is the purpose of the divisional doors in hangar bays on aircraft carriers?
Isolate hangar bays into three separate bays to prevent spread of fire.