Flashcards in Phase I, Block XVII - Hazardous Material / Hazardous Waste (HAZMAT/HAZWASTE) Deck (14)
What is HAZMAT?
Hazardous material - any material that may pose substantial hazard to human health or environment when released or spilled.
What is HAZWASTE?
Hazardous waste - used HAZMAT, that is discarded
How often are HAZMAT storages inspected?
Weekly and quarterly
Inspection of HAZMAT storage should consist of what?
- Tightness of closure
- Improper or inadequate labeling
- Shelf life
What is MSDS?
Material Safety Data Sheet
What does MSDS contain?
- Information about materials, such as composition, chemical and physical characteristics
- Health and safety hazards
- Precautions for safe handling and use
What are the six categories of HAZMAT?
- Flammable or combustible materials
- Aerosol containers
- Toxic materials
- Corrosive materials (including acids and bases)
- Oxidizing materials
- Compressed gases
What are rules for secondary labeling of HAZMAT?
- Use only approved containers
- Ensure existing precautionary labeling is retained and subsequent containers are marked with appropriate precautionary labeling
What is an AUL?
HAZAMAT Authorized Use List
What information does the AUL provide?
Current inventory of HAZMAT, chemical substances, or components known or suspected to contain HAZMAT.
HAZMAT training for All Hands should include what?
- Types of HAZMAT in work area and aboard ship
- Define HAZWASTE and how to dispose of it
- Read/interpret hazard warning labels
- Explain MSDS, how to read, where copy is available
- Protective measures when handling HAZMAT
- Emergency procedures
What are methods of disposal for HAZWASTE?
- Containers (must be fire safe for flammables)
- Double plastic bagged
What are general PPE required for handling HAZMAT/HAZWASTE?
- Eye protection
- Respiratory devices
(refer to MSDS for specific PPE)