Flashcards in Peds Shelf Deck (246)
what is the murmur heard in tetrology of fallot?
systolic murmur along the left sternal border
what 4 anatomic abnormalities are seen in tetrology of fallot?
2. Overriding aorta over the R and L ventrivles
3. R ventricular outflow obstruction
4. R ventricular hypertrophy
what are the 3 most common bugs that cause acute bacterial rhinosinusitis? treatment of choice?
1. Strep pneumo
2. H influ
3. Moraxella catarrhalis
tx: amoxicillin-clavulanic acid
impetigo is most commonly associated with what disease?
what 2 bugs cause impetigo? tx of choice?
2. Staph aureus
tx: topical mupirocin
what vaccine has a weight requirement and what is that requirement?
must be at least 2kg before receiving it
what are the characteristics (4) of Edwards syndrome? trisomy 18
1. Low birth weight
2. Closed fists with the index finger overlapping the 3rd digit and the 5th digit overlapping the 5th
3. Prominent occiput
4. Rocker bottom feet
what causes cri-du-chat?
tx of choice for septic arthritis?
pt has rapidly increasing head circumference, imaging? what is it?
get CT scan of brain
continued ear drainage for several weeks despite appropriate antibiotic therapy?
how is a cholesteatoma formed?
chronic middle ear disease leads to formation of a retraction pocket in the tympanic membrance which can fill with granulation tissue and skin debris
at what age should children follow a moving toy in the side to side AND vertical plane?
at what age does an infant maintain a seated position?
At what age can a child copy a square?
what is the major morbidity of pauciarticular rheumatoid arthritis?
blindness: iridocyclitis (tx with steroids)
what is Nikolsky sign and what does it indicate?
- peeling of the epidermis in response to mild shearing forces
- Ritter disease = staph scalded skin disease
what are the major symptoms observed in anaphylactoid purpura? (3)
1. Generalized acute vasculitis of small blood vessels
2. Arthritis of large joints
3. GI symptoms: colicky abdominal pain, vomiting, melena
what is the most serious complication of anaphylactoid purpura?
Syrup of ipecac should not be given in what isntances?
1. Ingestion of strong acid or alkali
2. Obtunded, comatose, or impending seizures
herald patch -> diffuse rash involving the upper extremities and trunk
what else should be on the differential for pityriasis rosea?
at what age does neonatal acne peak?
2-4 weeks (due to maternal hormone transmission)
tx for symptomatic organophosphate poisoning in children?
what are the typical symptoms of GBS pneumonia?
1. Rapid onset of respiratory distress, hypothermia, hypotension
2. low WBC count with left shift
at what age do children start to pincer grasp?
what CANT you use as treatment for lice in a small infant?
what STD goes along with sexual abuse?
in what 3 types of bites do you need antibiotic prophylaxis?
3. monkey bites