Flashcards in Parliament Deck (61)
how are MPs elected?
chosen through election to represent a constituency via first past the post
what are the 3 types of Lords?
- life peers
- hereditary lords
- 'lords spiritual'
What are the 3 functions of parliament?
- pass legislation
How often a PMQs?
every Wednesday 12-12:30
How often are MQTs?
1 every day except Wednesday
give an example for PMQ?
David cameron once attacked Corbyn on his choice of suit
how are PMQs effective?
- televised -so public can see what happens
- PM more judged- show their leadership style
- house is full, more people+Qs
- PM has to attend - can't hide a no.10
how are PMQs ineffective?
- questions planned to make PM look good
-lack detail as only 30mins
- can't give detailed answers
how are MQTs effective?
- longer w/ more detail - able to prepare
-allows MPs to inform themselves about govt polioy - can raise issues of interest to their constituents
how are MQTs ineffective?
- less people, less often - due to number of govt departments, each department generally answers once a month
what are adjournment debates?
- allow commons to debate on something without question and the house must decide
- 30 mins @ end of each day
Who deals with e-petitions?
backbench business committee
give an example of an adjournment debate?
2015 - military action in Syria - govt. then lost vote
give an example of e-petition?
Donald trump e-petition, 1.8 million votes (no state visit)
how are adjournment debates effective?
- commons can raise important questions
- frequent + up to date
how are e-petitions effective?
- allows people to voice their opinions
how are adjournment debates ineffective?
- only 30 mins each day - not that much
- people might not have much info on debate
- not binding vote
what are opposition days?
opposition parties are allocated 20 days a year to propose subject topics for debate
give an example for opposition days?
post office + passport delays (see case studies)
how are opposition days effective?
- case study shows they are good as they can win
- opposition parties have a say
how are opposition days ineffective?
case study - mainly helped by public
- most don't actually happen
- govt chose when opposition days are
What do DSCs do?
scrutinise policy, administration and spending of each government department
example of DSC?
- examine policy, administration and policy of HM treasury
how are DSCs effective?
- go into great detail when examining actions of govt.
- cross bench, so no govt. bias
how are DSCs ineffective?
govt. don't have to act on them - only have to reply
What % of DSC reforms are acted upon?
What is functional/descriptive representation?
looks like what society looks like
Give 5 things an MP or peer could claim to represent?
What are the 3 things an MP or peer could claim to represent? (not functional/descriptive)