Flashcards in Neurodevelopmental disorders Deck (22)
What are the Neurodevelopmental disorders?
Specific Learning disorder
Diagnosis that A. persistent deficits in social communication & interaction across multiple contexts currently or by history; B. restrictive/repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities (at least 2); C. symptoms must be present in the early developmental period; D. Symptoms cause sig. impairment to social, occupational, and other areas of functioning.
Autism Spectrum disorder
Diagnosis that, A: a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsitivity that interferes with functioning or development
How many months does one need to experience symptoms to meet the criteria for ADHD?
at least 6 months
How many symptoms does one need to have to meet ADHD criteria?
6 or more
If the client is 17 years or older, how many symptoms does he/she need to meet for ADHD criteria?
at least 5 symptoms
What are the 9 symptoms within the ADHD criteria?
1. often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in school or at work..
2. often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or activities
3. often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
4. often does not follow through on instruction and fails to finish school work
5. difficulty organizing tasks and activities
6. often avoids, dislikes or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require mental effort
7. often loses things
8. easily distracted
9. often forgetful in daily activities
How many symptoms to meet the hyperactivity and impulsivity criteria under ADHD?
6 or more for 6 months
What are the hyperactivity and impulsive symptoms for ADHD?
1. often fidgets with or taps hand or feet
2. often leaves seat when its expected to sit down
3. often runs about or climbs in situations where it's inappropriate
4. can't play in leisure activities
5. often on the go (uncomfortable staying still )
6. talks excessively
7. blurts out an answer before question
8. cannot wait on his/her turn
9. often interrupts or intrudes others
What age does hyperactivity/ impulsivity need to occur?
before age 12
How many settings does hyperactivity/impuls. need to be in?
2 settings; home and school for example
What are the 2 specifiers for ADHD?
predominantly inattentive or predominantly hyperactive-impulsive
Diagnosis that: A. Difficulties learning and using academic skills
Specific learning disorder
How many symptoms does one need to have to meet the diagnosis of Specific learning disorder?
at least 1 symptom for 6 months
What are the symptoms required to meet specific learning disorder?
1. inaccurate or slow and effortful work reading (difficulty sounding out)
2. difficulty understanding the meaning of what was read
3. difficulty spelling
4. difficulty with written expression
5. poor understanding of numbers;
6. difficulty with math reasoning
Specifiers for specific learning disorder?
Dyslexia or dyscalculia
A sudden, rapid, recurrent nonrhythmic motor movement or vocalization
A diagnosis that has both motor and one or more vocal tics
How long does he/she need to experience Tourette's to meet criteria?
persisted for more than 1 year
What is the onset of Tourette's to meet criteria?
before the age of 18 yrs
Has a single or multiple motor or vocal tics that is present ; NOT both motor and vocal
Persistent motor or vocal tic disorder