Flashcards in Module 8 : Ecosystems and Adaptations Deck (34)
Dogs and cats share a more recent common ancestor than dogs and birds share. What is most likely true?
- Dogs and cats have more genetic similarities than dogs and birds do.
- The more recent the common ancestor of two species, the more similar their genetic material is likely to be.
What best describes natural selection?
- Organisms that have beneficial traits are more likely to survive and pass their traits on to their offspring. Over time, the beneficial traits become more common in the population.
- Natural selection occurs when beneficial traits are passed on to offspring more often than harmful traits are. Over time, more individuals in the population have the beneficial traits.
What traits are characteristic of plants?
- They are autotrophic and multicellular.
- Plants are multicellular and use the energy of sunlight to build organic molecules from inorganic Carbon Dioxide, making them atmospheric, which means 'self-feeding'.