Flashcards in Module 3 : Waves Deck (47)
What correctly describes the speed of sound?
- Sound moves faster in warm air than cold air.
- Sound energy requires a medium to move and the properties of the medium can affect its speed. Solids and liquids are better at transmitting sound than air. Because air molecules are moving faster when the air is warm, sound can travel faster through warm air than through cold air.
Which electromagnetic wave has the shortest wavelength?
- Gamma rays
- Gamma rays are the type of electromagnetic radiation with the greatest energy. They have the shortest wavelength, and the highest frequencies
Which forms of electromagnetic radiation are higher in energy than visible light?
- Gamma rays, X-rays, and ultraviolet radiation only
- Ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays all have more energy than visible light. Radio waves, microwaves, and infrared radiation have less energy than visible light
During a thunderstorm, residents of a town see bright flashes of lightning. They hear claps of thunder several seconds later. What best explains these observations?
- Light waves travel faster than sound waves
- The light waves from the lightning travel very quickly, so they reach the observers before the sound waves from the thunder do.
Which form of electromagnetic radiation has the lowest frequency?
- radio waves
- Radio waves have the longest wavelengths, lowest frequencies, and lowest energies of all forms of electromagnetic radiation.
What statement best explains why we can use X-rays to make images of structures inside the body, but we cannot use visible light for this?
- X-rays have more energy than visible light
What are examples of applications of gamma rays?
- Decreasing spoilage in foods and killing cancer cells
- Gamma rays are high energy electromagnetic waves. These rays can be used to kill bacteria, cells, and other microscopic organisms and to kill cancer cells
What statement correctly describes sound waves?
- High frequency sound waves cause the eardrum to vibrate rapidly which is interpreted by the brain as a high pitch
- Sound waves cause a vibration in a medium and move as longitudinal waves. The eardrum senses frequency of the vibrations between 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz and interprets high frequency waves as high pitches.
What correctly describes ocean waves?
- Tsunami waves travel mainly underwater but increase in height when they reach the shoreline
- Tsunamis are a type of ocean wave but occur when an earthquake or explosion starts the disturbance. Earth's gravitational pull causes the tsunami wave to move outward form the disturbance without much height. When the shoreline compresses the wave's energy its height can reach approximately 30 meters.
What statements provides an example of reflection of light and sound?
- The distance of a passing car in a rear view mirror; echoes produced in a mountain valley.
- Reflection occurs when waves hit a barrier and return at the same angle. Polished surfaces like mirrors reflect light; walls and other barriers reflect sound
What correctly describes wave interference?
- Two transverse waves in phase combine resulting in greater amplitude.
- Constructive interference occurs when any type of waves is in phase. When at least two waves are in phase, their effects are added together. Destructive interference occurs when waves are out of phase and they reduce or cancel out their effects.
What correctly shows the colors of visible light in order from high frequency to low frequency?
- Violet, green, yellow, red
- The highest frequency of electromagnetic radiation that we can see with our eyes appears violet and the lowest frequency appears red.
What is an example of a longitudinal wave?
- a sound wave
- Sound waves are longitudinal waves. Particles in a sound wave vibrate parallel to the direction the wave is traveling in.
What correctly compares sound waves and light waves?
- Light waves travel faster than sound waves.
- The speed of light is many thousands of times faster than the speed of sound.
What lists electromagnetic radiation in order from highest energy to lowest energy?
- ultraviolet light, visible light, microwaves
- Ultraviolet light has higher energy that visible light, and visible light has higher energy than microwaves
What describes how electromagnetic waves are used in meteorology?
- Infrared radiation is used to determine cloud temperature and hurricane structure.
- Infrared radiation is used in meteorology to determine cloud temperature, hurricane structure, locations of ocean currents, and thermal anomalies.