Flashcards in Mitigation and adaptation strategies Deck (15)
Name five mitigation strategies
Afforest and reforestation
Carbon capture storage
Name four adaptation strategies
Water conservation and management
Resilient agricultural systems
Land use planning and flood risk management
Solar radiation management
What are the benefits of water conservation and management?
- Recycle sewage water for agriculture
- Less ground water abstraction
What are the benefits of resilient agricultural systems?
- Drought tolerant species reduce risk of disease
- Low tech measures e.g. USA no ploughing approach increases soil health and CO2 sequestration
What are the benefits of land use planning and flood risk management?
- Doesn't always require substantial change e.g. permeable surfaces
- Afforestation upstream reduces downstream flooding
What are the benefits of solar radiation management?
- Reflect solar rays to aid climate change
- Orbiting satellites not sunshield
- Cooling effect in months
What are the weaknesses of water conservation and management? e.g. grey water
- Can't supply demand
- Requires government promotion
What are the weaknesses of resilient agricultural systems?
- Expensive so not always available to subsistence farmers
- High energy cost from indoor intensive farming
- Increases food insecurity and pressure for quick fixes
What are the weaknesses of land-use planning and flood risk management?
- Land owners can demand compensation
- Resettling often unfeasible
- Hard engineering and maintenance
What are the weaknesses of solar radiation management?
- Not tried or tested
- Would not affect gases or acidification
- Unknown consequences
What are the benefits of carbon taxing?
- Incentive to adapt more eco-friendly practises
- Revenue raised used as subsidies for public transport
What are the benefits of energy efficiency? Give an example
Incentive to firms
German policies to reduce consumption by 25% and loans to renovate old properties
What are the benefits of afforestation and reforestation?
Habitats and sequestration
Prevent soil erosion
Give an example of renewable switching?
Sweden - 1975 oil provided 75% of energy
Now - 20%