Flashcards in Medically Unexplained Symptoms Deck (6)
What is "Medically Unexplained Symptoms"?
Physical symptoms not explained by organic disease, but nevertheless causes distress and impairs function
The physical expression of emotional distress
Give four examples of Medically Descriptive Terms
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Atypical Non Cardiac Chest Pain
Give three positive outcomes of Medically Unexplained Symptoms
1. Reduces stigmatisation of mental illness
2. Allows people to assume the sick role
3. Physical expression of distress, thus reduces internal emotional conflict
What are some of the controversies in MUS?
1. Affects a heterogenous group with a wide variation in severity and presentation
2. Given heterogeneity, likely that different mechanisms play a role in development
3. Translates to problematic management at a diagnostic level