Flashcards in Maynooth Grant Deck (14)
When, and what, were the Gordon Riots?
1780. Violent anti-Catholic protests following the proposal to reduce Catholic discrimination laws?
Give one reason for the Maynooth Grant
- Pitt wanted to reduce tensions with the Catholic population through a good will gesture
- Hoped to detach moderate Catholics from the repeal movement
What was the actual name of Maynooth College?
The Royal College of St Patrick
What was the initial sum granted to Maynooth?
In 1845, Peel proposed the initial sum granted to the College be increased to what?
Before the Maynooth Grant, Peel had banned a meeting of the Repeal Association in 1843, where?
Give two reasons why there was Protestant ill-feeling towards the Maynooth Grant?
- General anti-Catholic attitude in Britain at the time
- Worries about a Protestant state financing a Catholic school
- Worries that this would encourage greater demands from Catholics
Name the MP who was particularly opposed to the Grant.
What was the name of the organisation formed to oppose any government grant-giving to private institutions?
The Maynooth Grant passed. What was the result of the Commons vote?
323 to 176
When was the Young Ireland group formed, that split from the Repeal Association.
Name two of Peel's failed Irish reforms before the Maynooth Grant
- A new Franchise Bill
- A bill for providing compensation to evicted tenants
Which year did Peel become Prime Minister?