Flashcards in Lesson 6 - Types of operating systems and virtual machines Deck (10)
What is distributed os
- They are used on super computers
- Run access multiple devices and are used to spread the load across multiple computers
-They can flexibly distribute the workload over all of the computers.
What is embedded os?
- Designed for specific tasks and devices.
-Difficult to update
- They consume much less power.
Give examples of embedded os.
- Air pods.
What is a multi tasking os
-Let's you carry out different tasks at the same time.
- Uses time slicing to simulate parralel processing.
What is multiuser os?
-One computer can be used by multiple people.
- A super computer that needs to accessecx by multiple people to run different jobs.
- Scheduling algorithms are used to distribute the processor time across jobs.
What is real time os?
-Used in critical applications.
-These are designed to perform different tasks in a specified time frame.
Interrupts are controlled alot
- MOst operating systems are not real time.
Why are most operating systems not real time?
- They are expensive to design as they are so specific to jobs.
Give examples of real time operating systems would be used in.
-Nuclear power plants - for example the rod not getting too hot.
- In planes the flaps must come down at a certain time otherwise there will be a big problem.
What does BIOS stand for?
- Basic input and output system.