Flashcards in Learning Disabilities Deck (12)
What are the four criteria for "Learning Disability"?
- Impairment of intelligence
- Impairment in adaptive behaviour
- Impairment in social functioning
- Onset < 18 years old
What are the three ways in which we can "measure" intelligence?
- Standford-Binet Scale 1905
- Intelligence Quotient (IQ)
- Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS)
To be classed as heaving a Learning Difficulty, you may have an IQ of...?
Less than 70 (2 sd's below the mean of 100)
An abnormality in structure / function of something
The functional consequence of impairment
The social consequence of impairment
How does the Social Model view Disability?
Seen as a function of society
State some infectious causes of Learning Disabilities (TORCH)
- Cytomegalovirus / Congenital syphillis
Give an example of a Metabolic Condition which can cause a Learning Disability
Phenylketonuria (PKU), characterised by an absence of Phenylalanine hydroxylase
Give an example of a Genetic condition which can cause a Learning Disability
Give two examples of Toxins which can cause a Learning Disability
Foetal Alcohol Syndrome