Flashcards in Leadership Deck (12)
To which management process does leadership belong?
Name two differences between leaders' and managers' approach to strategy.
Two of the below:
Leaders are more likely to...
- take risks
- make constructive use of conflict
- break rules
List four sources of leadership power identified by French and Raven
- Position power
- Reward power
- Expert power
- Referent power
Leaders with destructive behaviours and dysfunctional personalities (such as Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin) are...
What are three features of transactional leadership?
- Contingent rewards
- Management by exception
Charisma consists of...
... idealised influence and inspirational motivation
Describe two weaknesses of transformational leadership.
- It may not be relevant for all jobs
- Not all transformational leaders are good
What is the main idea of the LMX (leader-member exchange) theory?
The quality of relationship (between leaders and followers) influences follower behaviour
List two reasons why the concept of heroic leadership began to lose favour.
Any two of the below:
- There are too many people with such leadership qualities
- Some leaders don't help the organisation add value
- Leaders might transform situations for the worse
- Organisations are too big and complex to be led by one person
What alternative theory emerged from the doubts around heroic leadership?
Post-heroic leadership / distributed leadership
According to Fiedler's research, what would be the appropriate style in a situation where the leader has LITTLE or HIGH LEVELS of control?