Flashcards in International Whaling Commission Deck (5)
When was it set up?
1946 to conserve global whale stocks
1. complete protection of species
2. designated areas for whale sanctuaries
3. limits on no of whales to be caught
4. open/closed seasons
5. prohibition of capturing calves/female whales
6. compilation of catch reports
What is Japan under criticism for?
loophole - taking whales for scientific research ending up in restaurants with some whales having a $1,000,000 market
What do whale sanctuaries do?
- facilitate recovery of previous depleted whales
- non lethal research into behaviour of species
- increase public awareness