Flashcards in Injectable Anaesthetics: Propofol Deck (10)
Give one other name for propfol
Is propofol water or lipid solouble
What characteristics of appearance does propofol have
- oil emulsion
What negative is there with administering propofol and how do you overcome this?
- Can have mild pain on injection
- Overcome by cooling solution
What characteristics are there regarding the effect of propofol
- rapid loss of consciousness
- rapid recovery
- Useful in TIVA techniques
What advantages are associated with propofol?
- Rapid metabolism and recovery
- Free from hangover if single dose given
- Non-cumulative therefore can be used as part of TIVA protocol
- Non-irritant peri-vascularly
What disadvantages are associated with propfol?
- May cause apnea if injected too fast (1 minute brain to vein)
- May cause hypotension
- May occasionally cause bradycardia
- May cause twitching / spontaneous muscle activity
- May have excitable recoveries
What is the shelf life for propofol plus?
28 days after opening
How should propofol be stored?
- no special storage requirements
- store below 25C
- Do not freeze
- Protect from light