Flashcards in How can technology be used to forecast extreme weather and reduce its effects? Deck (11)
What are the two types of predictions?
- Geostationary - Meteostat
- Polar Orbital - Metop
- 36,000 km above earths surface
- Positioned above equator
- Are not as detailed
- Not as useful
Explain Polar Orbital
- 800km above earths surface
- Photos are detailed - High-resolution
- Used by NHC
How do you reduce impacts?
Preparing and Protecting
Give the 2 places study
What are the Preparing of Florida?
- Evacuation - Lower death tolls
- Emergency Supplies ready
What are the Preparing of Haiti?
- Strongest building as a shelter
- Emergency Supplies
- Listen to Radio
What are the protection of Florida?
- Homes on Stilts to allow winds to pass under
- Storm Shutters to protect windows
What are the protection of Haiti?
- Attempt to secure windows
- Moor boats
What do isobars look like on high pressure?
Spaced out in intervals of 4mb