Flashcards in Exam 3 Deck (6)
the individual is a constantly changing changing person who responds to other's reactions
What is important to labeling theorists?
1. What happens after an act, not what caused the “act”
2. Deviance is a property conferred upon an act, not something inherent in the act (deviance is something we create)
3. The labeling of a person is a process of symbolic interaction between the “deviant” and the significant others
4. The labeling process is affected by who does the labeling and by how the person reacts to the label, as well as the person being labeled
5. The act of labeling may lead to retrospective interpretation of the person's past behavior
6. The deviant becomes the master status
who gets labeled?
people who can't fight back
something you were born into or can't control