Flashcards in Exam 2 Deck (95)
1. Acts 10:48
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days. (Acts 10:48)
2. Acts 19:5-6
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.
3. 1 Cor. 15:1-2
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
(1 Cor. 15:1-2)
4. John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:5)
5. What is the definition of grace?
The unmerited favor of God toward humanity
6. How did God’s grace provide for our salvation?
By giving us the desire and power to be saved.
7. How do good works and salvation relate to each other?
Salvation produces good works.
9. Are we are freed from the Law so we may live a sinful life and still be saved?
10. Which Scripture speaks to this idea (see 9.)?
11. What is the relationship of faith to grace?
We are not automatically saved by grace; grace must be appropriated by faith. It involves what God extends and we freely receive.
12. What does it mean to be “justified?”
To be declared righteous by God
13. What is the source of our faith?
14. When does God show us grace?
Before, during and after conversion
15. What is the theological name for faith that precedes salvation?
Universal Prevenient Grace
16. Define this type of faith (see 14).
The ability to have faith that God gives ALL before salvation.
17. The biblical notion of faith is what?
Total commitment, lifelong discipleship, trust, obedience and love.
18. Name and explain the 3 components of genuine saving faith.
Knowledge, Assent and Appropriation.
19. According to 1 John 2:3-5 what is the true test for the Christian?
20. Do the views of Paul and James agree concerning faith and works?
21. Paul says we are saved by what?
Saving faith, not dead works.
22. Does Paul say we should be against works?
23. James says we are saved by what?
Living faith, that produces living works.
24. Does James say we earn salvation by works?
25. How does faith relate to repentance?
Real faith includes repentance.
26. How does faith relate to baptism?
Baptism is an act of faith.
27. How does faith relate to the Holy Ghost?
Saving faith brings the baptism of that spirit.
28. Are repentance and baptism works by which we earn salvation?
29. Does the Bible teach salvation is just verbally confessing Christ as Lord and savior?
30. Is it enough to simply mentally believe in God for salvation?