Flashcards in Effective Supervisory Deck (223)
Among the challenges that face todays public service leader are
growing workload, challenging priorities, diverse workforce and high expectations
Your supervisory responsibilities include:
ensuring _____ ________ work and delivers _____ ______ _________ _______, developing, _______, coaching and __________your team holding members accountable
being a constant and consistent _____ _______
setting the direction for your work unit
- both your own and those of your team
creating and sustaining a _____ _______ ______ and ______ ________ managing change and being ready for the _________
exceptional customer service
safe, secure, healthy, and respectful organization
Leading focuses on _____ _____, aligning employees based on the direction, and _____ and _______ employees to succeed.
Leading produces _____, with an emphasis on _____ _____ ________ _______.
motivating and inspiring
achieving long term outcomes
Managing involves planning and ______, _____ and ________, and control and _____ _____ ______.
organizing and staffing
problem solving functions
Managing keeps things running - that is
the day to day operations of an organization
looks to the future
Becoming a successful supervisor requires making changes in your operating type to adapt to your new role and responsibilities.
-Rethinking your relationships with work friends who are now subordinates
- Letting go of the tasks you used to do and trusting your team, to get those tasks done
- Keeping an eye on the big picture and longer term goals
When employees are involved in the decision making they are more likely to _______ those decision and ______ to ______ them.
committed to implementing
Delegating is essential to success because it
- helps employees feel valued
- encourages creative and innovative problem solving - motivates employees to take full responsibility
- Increases productivity and ensures work get done
- helps you manage workload
There are four parts to successful delegation
IA has the responsibility and authority
You should give the employee full responsibility for the specific task you are delegating and clear goals help him or her complete the task
The employee must have sufficient authority to complete the task and other employees should know that the employee has the authority
specific instruction on the exceptions and work process and regular feedback
Team member must be held accountable for completing the task and achieving the desired outcome
Your success as a problem solver requires that you be
- Approachable - people are willing to talk to you when they need help or are facing obstacles
- Connected - to work progress so that you can constantly evaluate success, concerns, and potential risks within the context of your teams mission, goals, and outcomes.
- Alert - to potential issues and risks
-Open -to change in work processes or strategies so that you can manage
- Aware - of trends or patterns that may indicate a potential problem
As a supervisor you are
- A ________ between the organizations vision and the day to day activities that contribute to making that _____ ________.
- The ________ between the leaders who establish _____ _____ for the organization and the boots on the ground who implement those goals
- The _____ that holds your team and your projects together, so that the work keeps moving regardless of ____ _____, ____ ______ etc
vision a reality
political changes, tight budgets
Peter Senge -
Francis Hesselbein observed
“ those in the position of authority are not the source of authority”
“ people want to be part of something that makes a difference,that transcends the ordinary : they want a star to steer by"
_____ ______ in his book Leading People defines new leadership this way: “ first off it is not a status... Leaders inspire rather intimidate, motivate rather than monitor, mobilize rather than manage. And these activities don't require the totems of rank and a position. Rather than a status,leadership is an activity... it does something. It enables a group of people to pursue a shared vision and create extraordinary results.”
Situational leadership as originally designed by Ken Blanchard, suggests that there is
no best style of leadership, and that successful leaders adapt their style to the situation at hand
As a Supervisor you have three primary sources of influence:
-the power and authority that comes with your role as supervisor. Leaders who use power to intimidate the employees usually do not achieve the highest productivity.
is your second major source of influence. Effective leaders develop a positive reputation by building trust with those they lead.
- direct interaction between yourself and your employees will have a strong effect on their view of you. The key to influential leadership is your behavior as a leader
The key to influential leadership is your
behavior as a leader
- Develop a strong commitment to public service ethics
- Find worthy models and mentors
- Become a lifelong learner
- Find the challenges that are right for you
- Develop a plan to improve your leadership skills and capacity
Leadership self care has three dimensions
physical, intellectual and emotional.
Make a effort to increase physical activity to support a _____ _______
Being physically active will also help you be a ___ _______ leader.
stay current with emerging trends and technology
EAP available in most places of work
- is a standard of conduct for professional and personal behavior based on shared values.
These three A’s help define this in action (ethics) -